Tuesday, December 23, 2008

An Important Lesson in a Sea of Worry

Well…we made it home. I spent the entire night last night wondering what would happen, planning alternate ways to get home and praying. I explained to God that if I could just get home, I would do something nice for someone…maybe we’d see that young service man we’d met in the “rebook line” on Sunday. Maybe I could offer him some help. He was, after all, a newlywed who had been away in the Air Force as long as they had been married. He just wanted to get home to see his family in Forest Grove. He had missed his flight on Saturday morning and was on stand by for every flight after...(none of them ever left, by the way). He told us he was going to sit in that airport until he got a flight out! I hoped he had gotten out but if not, I promised God I would do something to improve his circumstance. I know that bargaining with God is not the best way to go about it but…we worked it out.

So, we slept very little, woke up at 4:15 AM, headed to the airport, stood in yet another line watching the boards like hawks…”On Time”, it said. ON TIME…I was guardedly hopeful. I reminded God about our deal…I don’t think he needed reminding.

We walked to the gate and who should we see but Sam, the boy we met on Sunday, still in his fatigues, looking worn and beat down. I said, “Hey! Are you on this flight?” He said yes, as a last ditch effort, he agreed to fly in to Seattle but was frustrated because he wasn’t sure how he would get to Portland.

Wow…ok, God. Real subtle.

So, I immediately said, “Dude…come with us! My husband is picking us up and driving back to Portland!” He looked like he would cry. He said, “Are you SERIOUS? I can’t believe that.” Mom explained that prayer was the reason we were going to take off at all. I’m not sure he was convinced. He said, “I don’t pray much.” She said, “Well, get ready because it works!” LOL…go mom!

We boarded the plane, waited patiently as the plane taxied down the runway and as we lifted off, mom and I raised our arms like we were on a giant roller coaster and cheered like mad! Then, I cried a little.

We landed around 10:30, Will was right there when we hit baggage claim. We were home before dark! And Sam…Sam was reunited with his wife and family for Christmas. His mother-in-law just cried and told us what a good boy he is and how worried they were and how thankful they were for us. I told her that we were just paying forward all the help and love we had received in our time of need.


Dear readers...thanks for listening and remember:

God blesses you by letting you be a blessing to others!

Whatever you celebrate, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa or Festivus...give thanks for your family and friends and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

1 comment:

Christi said...

I'm nominating it for best Christmas story of the year. I love how God interacts with all of His kids differently...he totally knows how to handle you :)

You are awesome...thanks for sharing!