Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Mexico Trip - Dia Dos.Cinco

So, you know that feeling when you wake from a dead sleep and you swear you heard some really loud noise but you don’t hear it again and you think about it for a while but eventually you drift blissfully back to sleep? Well, this story is nothing like that.

We go to bed around midnight. We sleep soundly until about 3:45 when I awake suddenly to a horrific smell. Something I can only describe as 1000 old ladies getting perms in a sewer. It was an overwhelming scent that actually made me gag just laying there. Anyone who knows me, knows I have a super-nose. I smell everything and often a strong scent will give me an instant migraine. Well, this jumped straight to vomit. I know, it’s VERY descriptive but it was intense.

So, I try not to wake Shawna who was, I found out later, having a very vivid dream about getting a perm and I went out on the patio. I wanted to see if the air smelled this way too or if it was just our room. It was nice fresh ocean air outside so I stayed there for a bit. Shawna woke up and was worried about me. I think it took just a second for her to realize what was going on.

We called the front desk at 4AM to report a “bad smell”. Of course, the front desk staff was probably thinking – “Crazy gringas, never smelled the ocean before…”

So, they send the only guy on duty at 4AM. A young, Mexican boy who speaks like two words of English and who’s charge is to spray room deodorizer all over our room. Shawna sent him packin’ real fast. Our only option was to get dressed and go to the reception desk. We went down and explained that the “bad smell” is some sort of chemical spill or leak. They were extremely apologetic, brought us waters and immediately set us up a new room to lay our weary heads. We quickly packed a few things and made our way to the new room. Just as we lay down to crash, a violent wind whipped up and driving rain began pelting the patio. It felt like a tropical storm. I found out later it was, apparently, “a gentle rainfall”. We finally went to sleep around 6:30AM. It was a long, tiring, vomitous night.

We woke up at 10AM, went back down to the front desk, told them we would be staying in our new room and NOT returning to the old one except to pick up our luggage. They were extremely compliant with that request which, at the time, seemed too easy but when we got to the smelly room, we figured it out. They had all sorts of weird equipment out in the hallway and there were workmen in there doing lord-knows-what. Well, as you can imagine, we were ready for it to all be over. Our trip to Isla Meujeres was cancelled due to weather and that was just fine.

We took a cab into Cancun, went to Market 28 and found some great little trinkets.



As usual, Shawna got a tray full of food spilled down her back.
Alas…it seems to be her plight these days.

But…she LOOKS GREAT!!

No comments: